Music Services FAQ
What services do you provide?
To put it simply, take your music from raw recording to radio ready. Expanding on that, I provide audio editing, restoration and tuning services (if needed) to get your performances sounding spot on. I then work my mixing magic on your music to achieve the sound that you’re after. I can then provide mastering services the song for you to get it ready for release. If you have a preferred mastering engineer, you’re welcome to send the mixes over to them at this stage.
I specialise in acoustic, rock and heavy music.
Editing can include (but is not limited to) –
- Removal of pops, clicks and breaths
- Fixing performance mistakes
- Fixing or changing timing for music
Restoration aims to repair audio tonally. This can include (but is not limited to) –
- Removing noise or crackle from recordings
- Removing background hum
- Removing bleed from other sound sources
- Removing ‘clipping’ sounds that can occur when the audio level was too high during recording
- Removing ‘plosives’ (air sounds picked up by the microphone)
- Overall tonal changes to audio (e.g. increased bass, decreased treble)
Tuning is the pitch correction of vocals (and certain instrumental tracks). Your vocal tracks can be pitch corrected for a natural, smooth tuning.
Mixing is where I take your raw recordings (in individual tracks) and turn them into a professional piece of music. Using level balancing, stereo panning, tonal shaping and effects I can mix your music to your specification. I specialise in rock, indie, acoustic and folk but other genres can be catered for.
The results of the service depend on the quality of the recorded audio and the nature of any issues the audio has. During the quote stage of the process, I will listen to your audio and give you an idea of how the result will sound, before you commit to anything. Contact me using the contact form to discuss your needs and for a free quote.
Do you also provide mastering services?
Mastering can be included with the service if needed, to get your song levels radio/streaming ready. There are a number of options for mastering engineers depending on your budget. We can discuss this during our discussion for your project.
What is the difference between mixing and mastering?
Mixing is the production stage that comes after recording music. Mixing involves balancing levels, placing instruments within the stereo field, applying effects etc. This takes your song from a raw recording to a product that’s pleasing to listen to and captures the desired feel. Mastering is the final layer of polish that’s applied after the song has been mixed. This brings the level up to industry standards for CD, radio and streaming. Subtle tonal and compression changes may also be applied at this stage.
Can you fix every audio issue?
This depends on the nature of the issue and the quality of the recording. This is why I also listen to your audio and discuss what’s possible before anything is agreed upon.
How does the process work?
- I will get back to you shortly and we can discuss your audio and needs. If you would like a sample of how the result will sound, I may be able to provide one at this stage depending on the nature of the job.
- Based on our chat and having listened to your music, I will provide you with a proposal and quotation.
- If you are happy to proceed, I will send you a link for you to upload your audio.
- I will begin work on your project.
- Once completed, I will give you access to a sample or watermarked version of the audio for you to approve.
- If you’d like any changes to be made at this stage, we can discuss this and I will action the revisions.
- Once you are happy with the work, I will request payment via invoice.
- Once payment has been received, the completed audio will be provided for you to download.
How should I prepare my audio files?
Audio files should all be appropriately named and separated into folders if necessary. For mixing, please ensure that all tracks line up from zero seconds. Recordings should also be kept dry, without any effects (unless effects were applied during recording such as with a guitar pedal). Also, for mixing, tracks will ideally peak no higher than -3dB. Please also include details of the bit depth and sample rate of the audio files if possible.
Do you charge extra for revisions?
I do not charge extra for revisions. I would never want to leave you with audio that you’re not completely happy with, so I will work on it until it’s completed to your specification. Revisions encompass any amendments to the original work, but any additional requirements would incur an extra charge.
How long will it take to receive my order?
Time scales are dependant on the nature of the job and current availability. We can discuss this before you order.
What are your rates?
Rates are dependant on the requirements and the length of time it will take to complete the job. A quote will be provided once we’ve discussed your order.
What payment methods are available?
Payment can be made via bank transfer or PayPal. Details will be provided on the invoice once the job is completed.
What are the terms and conditions?
For full terms and condition, see the terms and conditions page.